There have already been two hearings on the question of whether to release Kollie, prosecutors said in their response. A third is unnecessary, they argue.
MORE: 'American Factory': Senator says he was 'startled' by Fuyao's furious reaction
“Aside from the lack of a statutory requirement, and separate and apart from the burden of multiple hearings, another hearing is simply unnecessary here,” the U.S. attorney’s office wrote in the filing. “The magistrate judge already held two hearings on the detention question. Kollie does not in his request for a third hearing, or in his motion for revocation, offer any new evidence, point to any changed circumstances, or cite any previously unconsidered law.”
Last month, shortly after the Aug. 4 Oregon District mass shooting, Magistrate Michael Newman ordered Kollie detained without bond.
Federal investigators have said that there was no evidence that Kollie, 24, of Kettering, took any part in planning the killing spree on East Fifth Street, which resulted in 10 deaths, including the shooter’s. However, they also said Kollie kept body armor and firearm components for the shooter before the event.
Defense had argued last month that Kollie should be detained at the area home of a family friend under electronic monitoring.