Among parents of younger students in grade school, about 79 percent said they still needed to buy basic supplies such as pencils and paper, up from 77 percent at the same time last year. About 75 percent of those parents also still needed to buy apparel, up from 70 percent who still needed to at the same time last year.
» RELATED: 3 things to know about the Ohio Sales Tax Holiday
Ohio’s sales tax holiday, which falls on the first weekend of August, offers sales tax exemptions on certain items for back-to school shoppers. The deal includes clothing priced up to $75 and school supplies and instruction materials priced under $20.
The Ohio Sales Tax Holiday deals were expected to save shoppers more than $3 million in sales taxes.
FIVE FAST BUSINESS READS
• Target to introduce 3 new brands in August, September
• Store openings and closings: What's going on in local retail?
• 5 new restaurants and retailers coming to The Greene
• Workplace incivility, aggression impacts more than half of US workers
• Itchy eyes? You're not alone. It's hay fever season in Southwest Ohio