Sears Holdings plans to close at least 72 more stores.
The news came one day after the Illinois-based company, which owns Sears and Kmart, announced a $424 million first-quarter loss.
No stores in the region were impacted during this round of closures. Two stores in Ohio will close within the year. Stores in Lima and Strongsville will close in late June and late July, according to the company.
» Will more stores close in 2018? No comeback for traditional retailers
Sears, which owns Sears and Kmart, once had a dominant presence in the Miami Valley. In 2017, the last Kmart in the region closed its doors — the Kmart store at 601 Woodman Drive was the last location in the area. Kmart also closed a store located at 4480 Indian Ripple Road in Beavercreek in July 2017.
When is the last time you shopped at Sears? https://t.co/izZVrO96qF— Kara Driscoll (@KaraDDriscoll) May 31, 2018
There are still more than 50 Sears locations in Ohio, including several in the region:
• Beavercreek Sears: 2727 Fairfield Commons Blvd.
• Beavercreek Sears Auto Centers: 2727 Fairfield Commons Blvd.
• Dayton Sears: 2700 Miamisburg Centerville Road
• Huber Heights Sears Appliance Outlet Stores: 8284 Troy Pike
• Kettering Sears Appliance Outlet Stores: 2000 E. Dorothy Lane
• Piqua Sears: 987 E Ash St. Ste 170
• Saint Mary’s Hometown Stores: 1280 Indiana Ave.
• Springfield Sears: 1475 Upper Valley Pike
• Springfield Auto Centers: Upper Vly Ml-1475 Upper Valley Pike
» Sears CEO gives rare interview: ‘We’re fighting to survive’
The new round of closures doesn't come as a surprise, as Sears reported yet another disappointing quarterly earnings. Eddie Lampert, CEO and chairman of Sears Holding Corp., told Vanity Fair earlier this year that the retailer was "fighting to survive."
“We’re fighting to survive — that’s pretty clear,” Lampert told Vanity Fair. “I believe in what’s possible, and we’re doing things that are necessary to keep the company going …. It’s definitely not just humbled me, but it’s expanded my awareness of real issues that exist in our society…. I feel like I can make a contribution by being involved, O.K.?”
FIVE FAST READS
• Woman shaving legs at pool sparks outrage, disgust
• With a harsh hurricane season expected, how do storms get named?
• 5 surprising ways Kroger is changing stores in 2018
• This $2 million Warren County estate is a rural paradise with a resort-style pool
• You won't believe the inside of this INCREDIBLE Oakwood house
About the Author