Low-cost airlines are expanding and offering new services at airports like the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport and the Dayton International Airport.
Flashy deals like flights to Europe for under $100 lure travelers in, but the airlines make money through extra fees for some amenities that passengers expect are free. Some of the major budget airlines include Allegiant Air, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines and WOW air.
The Dayton International Airport is served by Allegiant Air and Cincinnati’s airport is served by several low-cost airlines including Allegiant, Southwest and Frontier. The airport also announced earlier this week that WOW air will start serving the airport in May 2018.
» WOW air expands in Ohio: What’s really going on?
As WOW air continues to expand in Ohio, here’s what travelers need to know about costs before they hop on their next plane:
What does a WOW airfare ticket include?
Iceland’s low-cost airliner offers cheap flights, as low as $99 for a flight from Cincinnati to Iceland and some cities in Europe. The airline offers three types of flight options: WOW Basic, WOW Plus and WOW Biz.
• WOW Basic: Travelers can bring one personal item, but they pay extra for a carry-on bag or a checked baggage. Cancellations are not refunded, and charges are applied for name changes.
• WOW Plus: Travelers get a carry-on bag, a checked bag and a seat reservation. Cancellations are not refunded, and charges are applied for name changes.
• WOW Biz: This ticket includes fast track security in the airport in Iceland and priority boarding. It includes a checked bag, a carry-on bag, cancellation protection, food and drink from the WOW menu on board, free coffee and tea, and early boarding. Charges are applied for name changes.
What does in-flight food cost?
Any food or drink will cost travelers extra, including water and coffee. Water, sodas, chocolate milk and juice will cost about $3.29. Hot drinks like coffee, tea and hot chocolate also cost $3.29. Red wine cost $9.49 and spirits cost $8.39. Here's the full menu.
FIVE FAST BUSINESS READS
• 5 new flight options out of Cincinnati and Dayton airports
• Store openings and closings: What's going on in local retail?
• 5 new restaurants and retailers coming to The Greene
• Workplace incivility, aggression impacts more than half of US workers
• Itchy eyes? You're not alone. It's hay fever season in Southwest Ohio
About the Author