Man in custody after attempt to serve warrant results in SWAT standoff in Dayton

An attempt to serve a warrant resulted in a SWAT standoff that lasted nearly five hours and ended with a man in custody Thursday morning in Dayton.

Dayton police officers and members of the Southern Ohio Fugitive Apprehension Strike Team were looking for the wanted man around 7 a.m. when they tracked him to a house near East Fourth and South Irwin streets, said Maj. Christopher Malson, Dayton police incident commander.

“They tracked him to a location on South Irwin Street and when they went to take him into custody, he ran into a residence and barricaded himself inside,” he said.

Because the man was making threats that he was armed, the SWAT and hostage negotiation team also was called to the scene.

Law enforcement used sirens, flash bangs and other noise devices, Malson said, and also spoke to the suspect on the phone in an attempt to get him to come out.

A woman and two men — including the man with the warrant — exited the house around 11:40 a.m.

“Our whole goal in all of this is to get them to come out on their own and to come out peacefully,” he said. “We employ a lot of different techniques, but our goal is to ultimately get them to understand the situation, realize what needs to happen and for them to walk out and be taken into custody without being harmed. And we were successful in getting that accomplished today.”

The woman and other man were living in the house with the suspect, Malson said.

The other two people were not the target of the investigation and at this time are not being considered for criminal charges, he said.

It’s not clear why the warrant was issued.

However, the man, identified by Malson as 37-year-old Charles Vititoe Jr., was booked on suspicion of a parole violation. He also faces kidnapping, inducing panic and obstructing official business counts, but has not been formally charged, Montgomery County Jail records show.

Credit: Marshall Gorby

Credit: Marshall Gorby

About the Author