Trial delayed for man accused of stealing police cruiser, causing crash that killed 2 girls

Raymond Andrew Walters
Caption
Raymond Andrew Walters

Credit: Montgomery County Jail

Credit: Montgomery County Jail

A trial set to start Monday for a man accused of stealing a Riverside police cruiser and causing a crash that killed two 6-year-old girls in 2019 has been delayed until next year.

Raymond Andrew Walters, 34, is charged in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court with a number of felonies including murder, involuntary manslaughter, aggravated vehicular homicide, felonious assault and robbery, among others.

He is now due back in court March 21, 2022, for a trial.

ExploreTrial delayed for man accused in fatal shooting outside Middletown bar

Walters is accused of causing a crash Aug. 26, 2019, in the area of East Third Street and Patterson Boulevard that killed 6-year-old cousins Penelope Jasko and Eleanor McBride.

Authorities said they began their investigation when they were called to Xenia Avenue for a man who was seen bleeding. When they spoke with the man, he said his son stabbed him with a knife and fled in the man’s pickup truck.

“The defendant eventually crashed the truck on Airway Road in Riverside,” the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office previously said. “When the Riverside police responded to the traffic crash, the defendant stole a Riverside police cruiser and drove away at a high rate of speed. Minutes later, the defendant struck multiple vehicles in downtown Dayton.”

ExploreCan you help? Dayton teen with autism waiting for school bus struck, critically injured

The crash killed the two girls, authorities said. The family told this news organization that Penelope and Eleanor were best friends who did everything together.

Walters remains in custody on a $1 million bond at the Montgomery County Jail.