El Meson restaurant’s new food truck will make its debut at a food-truck rally from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. this Friday, Aug. 2, at East Fifth and Jefferson streets in downtown Dayton, El Meson co-owner Bill Castro said on the restaurant’s Facebook page today.
In an interview earlier this week, Castro said the food truck was a project of his father’s. Herman Castro, El Meson’s founder, has owned the 1999 truck for several years, but only recently refurbished it, passed inspections and had it insured, Bill Castro said.
Bill and Herman Castro gave a tour of the “Meson XPress” on Tuesday evening to K99.1 FM (WHKO) The Breakfast Club host Nancy Wilson, News Talk Radio WHIO’s Sandy Collins and Connie Post, three of Dayton Daily News’ Dining Divas who review restaurants throughout the Dayton area. At the time, Wilson, Collins and Post were reviewing El Meson’s Restaurant Week offerings and you can read their review here.
In regards to the food truck, “he’s working on a menu that reflects the restaurant, but which stands on its own as well,” Castro said of his father. The brightly painted “Meson XPress” reflects the colors of the Colombian flag, he said.
The food truck will also serve food at the upcoming Hispanic Festival on Aug. 17, Castro said.