Ohio became the latest state to officially outlaw sex with animals after Gov. John Kasich signed a bill Monday that, among other things, prohibits selling animals for sex.
The new law will prohibit a person from engaging in sexual conduct with an animal and related acts, provide for the seizure and impoundment of an animal that is the subject of a violation and authorize a sentencing court to require an offender to undergo psychological evaluation or counseling.
The bill gained the support of a variety of animal welfare groups and will go into effect 90 days after being signed by the governor.
“I think this is something that is sickening and perverse and we don’t want Ohio to be the place you can come and have sex with an animal,” state Sen. Jim Hughes, R-Upper Arlington, said in an earlier interview.
While Ohio can finally put this issue to rest, there are plenty of strange laws that are still on the books here in the Buckeye State.
Here are 10 weird laws still in effect in Ohio, according to onlyinyourstate.com:
1. Women are prohibited from wearing patent leather shoes in public.
2. It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.
3. It is illegal to get a fish drunk.
4. The Ohio driver’s education manual states that you must honk the horn whenever you pass another car.
5. It is illegal for more than five woman to live in a house.
6. Posting signs at swimming pools is illegal in Akron.
7. It is also illegal in Akron to display colored chickens for sale.
8. It is illegal to walk a cow down Lake Road in Bay Village.
9. The installation and usage of slot machines in outhouses is prohibited in Bexley.
10. If someone loses their pet tiger, they must notify the authorities within one hour.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.