Prep: 15 minutes
Grill: 4 minutes
Makes: 2 open-face sandwiches
1/2 cup olive oil, about
1 fat clove garlic, mashed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 small (1/2-pound) zucchini
2 slices country or sourdough bread
1. Season: Pour oil into a small bowl. Drop in garlic. Season with a little salt and pepper. Let rest at least 10 minutes.
2. Mix: Stir together ricotta, thyme and lemon zest in a separate bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Slice: Trim zucchini. Use a mandoline or a vegetable peeler to slice the long way into 1/4-inch thick strips.
4. Brush: Paint the bread on both sides with the seasoned oil. Paint the zucchini strips on both sides with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Grill: Prepare a medium-hot grill. Grill bread and zucchini strips over direct heat until bread is crunchy and zucchini is bright green at the edges and striped with grill marks, about 2 minutes per side for both.
6. Build: Set bread on each of two plates. Schmear with ricotta. Top with grilled zucchini. Grind on more pepper and drizzle with a bit of the oil. Munch.