Deputy police chief sentenced after second DUI led to resignation

Credit: Tipp City Police Department/Facebook

Credit: Tipp City Police Department/Facebook

Felony firearm charge against Tipp City’s Slepicka was dismissed; she got a total of 10 days in jail plus two years probation

TROY — Former Tipp City Deputy Police Chief Stephanie Slepicka, charged in December with driving while under the influence and a weapons violation in Troy, was sentenced Tuesday to seven more days in jail, fines, a two-year license suspension and two years of community control.

Slepicka, 43, was sentenced in Miami County Municipal Court by Judge Gary Nasal, who said she was “incredibly” impaired and showed a “disturbing lack of judgment” with the offenses early Dec. 22.

Troy police said Slepicka was driving the wrong way on West Market Street near Interstate 75 at 12:46 a.m. when a West Milton police officer reported a truck on the wrong side of the road.

The officer said the truck failed to take evasive measures forcing him to brake and swerve toward the ditch. The truck was stopped a short time later by Troy officers. A loaded pistol and three magazines were found inside Slepicka’s purse, police said.

Slepicka, who was off-duty at the time, resigned from the police department later the same day after being suspended by Chief Greg Adkins.

ExplorePrevious story: Ex-Tipp City police officer pleads in DUI, gun case

She pleaded guilty in February to driving while under the influence, driving the wrong way and possessing a weapon while intoxicated. A felony improper handling of a firearm charge was dismissed. She had a prior DUI in 2004 in Troy.

Defense lawyer Michael Sheets said Slepicka is in school pursuing a degree and will “have to start essentially a new life” after working in law enforcement more than 20 years. He asked Nasal to take into consideration Slepicka’s years as a police officer, her recognition that she did wrong and the “punishment” she already has received with her job loss and embarrassment in the community.

Slepicka told Nasal she “took pride in her job as a police officer,” asking that he consider “the fact I am trying to do better things.” She said she is in treatment and counseling “to make sure nothing like this happens again.”

Nasal said Slepicka had a combination of alcohol, prescription medication and mental health stressors at work on Dec. 22. She “put at risk the lives of all who she encountered that evening” the judge said. He also noted the previous DUI.

Slepicka was sentenced to fines totaling $775, court costs, 70 hours of community service, a two- year license suspension and two years of community control. The firearm was forfeited.

She was sentenced to 180 days on the DUI and weapons charges, to be served consecutively, however all but 10 days in jail was suspended. Slepicka will receive credit for three days jail for an intervention program she already completed and will need to work with a probation officer and the county jail on scheduling the remaining seven days in jail, Nasal said.

Slepicka joined the Tipp City department in spring 2002. She was named deputy police chief last summer.

About the Author