Bellbrook shooting victim’s death ruled a homicide

ajc.com

The death of a man shot multiple times last month after he reportedly entered a Bellbrook home uninvited has been ruled a homicide.

Andre Evans, 40, of Dayton, was shot Nov. 28 in the 1900 block of North Regent Park Drive. He died of his injuries at Miami Valley South Hospital.

Montgomery County Coroner Dr. Kent Harshbarger on Tuesday announced that Evans’ deaths was ruled a homicide.

He was killed by multiple gunshot wounds after a shooting in Bellbrook.

In a 9-1-1 call, a woman told a dispatcher that she was sitting in her garage when Evans, the father of her child, entered her home uninvited. She told the dispatcher she shot him, according to records.

“He’s never been in my house. I don’t deal with him, I don’t talk with him,” the woman said in the call.

ExploreWoman tells dispatcher she shot intruder in her Bellbrook home

Bellbrook police Chief Doug Doherty previously said he expected the investigation to be a lengthy process.

“Andre Evans knew people at the Bellbrook home, and this incident does not pose an ongoing danger to the public,” Doherty stated.

Dayton University Law Professor Thomas Hagel told the Dayton Daily News earlier that Ohio law allows someone to protect themselves if someone breaks into their home. This law is known as the Castle Doctrine.

“It’s pretty straight-forward. If they break into your home, there is an assumption that you are being threatened with serious bodily harm,” Hagel said.

However, Hagel said the law does not allow someone to shoot a trespasser who is not posing a threat. Hagel said a recent change to Ohio law now mandates prosecutors prove a defendant wasn’t acting in self-defense at the time of the incident.

Staff Writer Parker Perry contributed to this report.

In Other News