Man who set off brawl in Champaign County court enters plea

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Brawl at Champaign County courthouse

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

UPDATE @ 3:43 p.m (Nov. 10):

Anthony Hammond, who set off a brawl in a Champaign County courtroom Wednesday, entered a not guilty plea during a court appearance Thursday. Bond was set at $20,000, and Hammond remains in custody.

Hammond entered a not guilty plea during a court appearance Thursday and bond was set for $20,000.

UPDATE @ 5:14 p.m.:

A man is in jail on several charges accusing him of fighting with law enforcement officers and refusing to leave a courtroom at Champaign County Municipal Court.

Anthony C. Hammond, 56, was taken to the Tri-County Regional Jail where he was being detained on charges of contempt of court, assaulting a court probation officer, assaulting a court bailiff and obstructing official business, according to the Urbana Police Division.

According to a statement from the police division, Hammond entered a courtroom about 2:40 p.m. during a hearing and caused a disturbance about a personal dispute he had with the police division and the court.

He was told to leave the courtroom and that he was in contempt of court, police said.

Hammond continued to argue with Judge Gil Weithman, who ordered his bailiff and a police in the courtroom to arrest Hammond.

Hammond resisted when they tried to remove him from the courtroom and an altercation ensued, according to police. He ended up in the lobby where additional officers tackled and subdued him.


A brawl broke out inside the Champaign County court house this afternoon following the sentencing for a man who shot a 4-year-old with a BB gun.

The fight was unrelated to the sentencing, however a man barged into the court room demanding to speak with the judge.

“I’m here to see the judge,” the man said in the court room. “I’m not going anywhere. This is my property,” the man said after court officials asked him to step into the court hallway.

Once in the hallway a fight broke out with the man refusing to leave and eventually multiple deputies responded and were able to take the man into custody, with one having to slam the suspect to the ground.

We are working to learn more about why the man would have been at the court house and what charges, if any, he may face.