UPDATE @ 12:08 p.m.
Trotwood fire Chief Steve Milliken said crews will remain on scene at a "very large" gas leak for some time today.
He said a main line into the 224-unit complex was hit by a contractor digging a hole for a light fixture.
Vectren arrived on scene with equipment to dig into the ground.
Trotwood Fire Chief Steve Milliken is expected to provide a statement to our on-scene crew shortly.
Regional Manager at Deer Creek Apartments Lisa Comer said renovation work is underway and gas lines were marked, but one was missed.
Comer said the unmarked gas line was struck, causing a leak.
Emergency crews are waiting for Vectren to respond. To shut the gas feed off, Vectren will have to dig underground to get to the source, Comer said.
People are being evacuated because of a gas leak near Shiloh Springs Road in Trotwood.
Fire crews were on scene at 10:20 a.m. at the gas leak in the 700 block of Keswick Circle.
The leak was initially reported to be at or near the Deer Creek Apartments.
The News Center 7 crew on scene reports seeing lots of people outside.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.