The family of 17-year-old shot to death last year exploded in frustration after the man they believe is responsible asked to withdraw his guilty plea.
LaShaonda Childs’ family watched in horror as Trendell Lamont Goodwin told a judge he changed his mind 48 hours after agreeing to take responsibility for her death.
LaShonda Childs died last October. Her family told News Center 7’s Mike Campbell that they’ll have pain for a lifetime, but they hoped today would be the end of the courtroom drama and suffering.
“Frustrating. Very frustrating,” said Nina Childs.
The mother said she felt sick when she heard in court that Goodwin wanted to go back on his guilty plea.
“I could not believe it,” she said.
Goodwin told the judge “Everything happened too fast,” regarding Monday’s plea.
When asked if he wanted to fire his attorney, Goodwin told the judge, “Yes.”
The judge said he will appoint a third-party lawyer for Goodwin.
That lawyer will be expected to represent Goodwin at a hearing next Wednesday at 2 p.m.
Losing her daughter has been nonstop pain, Nina Childs said, and the 180 degree turn in court isn’t helping.
“It’s unresting, uneasy and just unending at this point,” she said.
LaShonda Childs’ brother Jaylon said he thought Goodwin’s actions in court were “more games.”
“Whatever you get, you’re going to get,” he said. “There's no point in delaying.”
Jaylon Childs listened closely when a judge told Goodwin he could possibly get a longer sentence if he takes the case to trial and then loses.
“You play stupid games you win stupid prizes,” said Jaylon Childs. “If he does keep playing these games I hope that’s what happens to him.”
The family said they have no doubt that Goodwin is responsible for stalking, abusing and ultimately shooting and killing LaShonda Childs.
But they’re still waiting for the legal system to hold him responsible.
“I have no control,” said Nina Childs. “It’s been out of my control since Oct. 2, 2018.”
Goodwin’s father spoke to Mike Campbell briefly after court. He said he felt his son’s decision today was a mistake.
Goodwin will be held without bond until the hearing.
The 28-year-old entered the guilty plea Monday morning right before his trial was scheduled to start.
He agreed to a sentence of 18 years to life as part of the plea, according to court records.
Goodwin is accused of shooting and killing his ex-girlfriend, 17-year-old Childs, on Oct. 2.
He got into an argument with Childs and her boyfriend on Mumma Avenue in Dayton and pulled out a gun, prosecutors said.
Childs and her boyfriend got back into their car and were trying to leave when Goodwin reportedly shot at the vehicle.
Childs was shot in the head and her boyfriend drove her to Grandview Medical Center, where she died from injuries early Oct. 3.
Goodwin and Childs reportedly began dating in September 2017. He told her that he was 20 and not in his late 20s, her family said. Childs tried to leave him after he started showing abusive behaviors, they said.
“This 17‐year‐old victim had posted multiple times on social media about how scared she was of this defendant.” Montgomery County Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr stated in a release. “She even posted, ‘Domestic violence is real.’ Sadly, the defendant killed her. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic or dating violence, please, please, please get help and call 9‐1‐1. My office’s Victim/Witness Division offers a 24‐hour hotline (937‐225‐5623) to assist in getting victims the help and safety they need.”
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.