Richmond SWAT suspect barricades self with two children

Staff photo
Staff photo

UPDATE @ 5:40 p.m.

Richmond police say there was a juvenile girl and infant child inside the home during this SWAT situation.

Police also said in a release they had been dispatched twice to the home early Monday, first at 2:08 a.m. for a report of someone looking in the windows of the home. Major Jon Bales said it was determined on both calls that no one had made entry into the house.

During the incident, the suspect reportedly fired shots from inside the house as police were clearing the second call. The male had barricaded himself and the two juveniles in one room, but eventually came out unarmed, Bales said.

UPDATE @ 1:07 p.m.

Richmond, Ind. police have arrested Anthony D. Smith, of the residence in the 200 block of South 14th Street, on a charge of felony criminal recklessness. Police said there was no evidence to substantiate his claim of a home invasion, according to a release.

UPDATE @ 9:44 a.m.

A man was taken into custody by SWAT officers this morning at a house in the 200 block of South 14th Street, according to the Richmond Police Department.

At 3:45 a.m. Monday, Richmond police were dispatched to the house in reference to a suspicious person looking in the windows and possibly gaining entry to the home, according to a release.

It was the second call to the residence. The first call was just after 2 a.m. for someone attempting to enter the home. Officers spoke with the occupant of the home and determined on both calls that no one had made entry into the house, the release says.

As officers were preparing to clear from the second call, several gunshots were fired from inside the house.

Officers were able to establish phone contact with the man who claimed someone was in the house, and he had fired shots but would not come to the door. Officers discovered there also was a juvenile female and an infant child inside the home.

The man continued to refuse attempts to get him to exit the residence. Adjacent homes were evacuated and the SWAT team made entry.

The man willingly came out of the room that he had barricaded himself, the female and child in. He exited unarmed and was taken into custody by SWAT officers without incident.

The man was transported to Reid Health to be evaluated, while the female and child were checked by medical personnel on the scene and released.

A determination on criminal charges and the man’s identity will be released later.

There were no injuries reported.

UPDATE @ 7:16 a.m.

The situation on South 14th Street in Richmond that prompted a school delay has ended with one person taken into custody.

We are working to gather additional details on the incident.


Police presence reported in the area of South 14th Street in Richmond has prompted a two-hour delay for Richmond Community Schools.

Initial reports indicate the police activity is centered on a possible home invasion attempt in the 200 block of South 14th Street. There have also been reports of shots fired during the incident.

Richmond Community Schools issued a statement on the district's website: "Due to an increased police presence on Richmond's east side, and to keep students safe RCS has decided to have a 2 hour delay for all students on Monday, November 14."

We have a crew on the way and we’ll update this page as new details become available.

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

About the Author