HOW TO HELP: Building materials, household goods needed for tornado survivors

EDITOR’S NOTE: Dayton Daily News reporters Chris Stewart and Josh Sweigart — joined at times by Storm Center 7 Chief Meteorologist McCall Vrydaghs — are traveling the length of the largest of the 2019 Memorial Day tornadoes. It tore a path all the way across Montgomery County, impacting thousands of homes and businesses. We are gathering people’s stories and investigating obstacles to recovery. This story is part of that coverage. Go here for the full project.


As the weather changes and work continues to rebuild across our region from the Memorial Day tornadoes, officials involved in long-term recovery efforts say certain needs are emerging. Here’s how you can help, and where tornado survivors can get help.

Household goods needed

St. Vincent de Paul officials say they see a need for household goods, such as furniture -- beds, kitchen tables and chairs, living room furniture -- as well as lamps and cookware.

Walking the Path of the Storm: ‘I want to come back to Brookville.’ Homes still in rubble as neighbors work to rebuild

Donations of household goods can be made to St. Vincent de Paul at its Community Store, 945 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd., or its Donation Center, 120 W. Apple St.

Building materials needed

Donations of building supplies are needed, according to officials with the Miami Valley Long-term Recovery Operations Group. Businesses or individuals willing to donate building materials should contact Laura Mercer at or 937-512-4571. Items needed include:

• Roofing

• Drywall

• Insulation

• Dimensional lumber and sheets of plywood

• Siding – vinyl, Hardie board and aluminum

• Interior and exterior door units

• Standard size windows and garage doors

• Kitchen and bath cabinetry, counter tops and fixtures

• Flooring materials – carpet, tile and vinyl

• Gutter systems

• HVAC systems (including window air conditioners)

• Water heaters

• Lighting fixtures

• Large appliances

Volunteer opportunities

The Miami Valley Long-term Recovery Operations Group's website,, provides multiple ways for individuals and groups to identify volunteer opportunities to support tornado survivors.

How to get help 

The United Way’s 211 HelpLink number connects survivors to special operators who can complete an assessment and offer one-on-one case management assistance. The operators are available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

RELATED: Tornado recovery resource guide

The service is available for all Miami Valley households impacted by the tornadoes. If 211 service is not available in your area, survivors may call 937-225-3000.

TORNADO SURVIVORS: Tell us what you need on the path to recovery

Homeowners with who were uninsured or under-insured and have tornado damage should call 211 if they need repair/rebuild assistance.

RELATED: ‘Disaster after the disaster:’ Fighting insurance over tornado damage

NEW EPISODE: Tornado podcast focuses on neighborhood where two-thirds of homes mangled

MAP: Interactive map shows thousands of tornado damaged properties in 3-county area

About the Author