Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is located in Greene and Montgomery counties and performs critical work in logistics, acquisition, research and development, education and intelligence gathering for the U.S. Air Force.
Here are five things to know about the base.
1. About 29,300 people work at the base, with 8,000 of them active duty or reserve military and the rest civilians. It’s the region’s largest employer and the state’s largest single site employer.
2. Wright-Patterson Medical Center is located on the base, as are the U.S. Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine and the Air Force Institute of Technology.
3. The only aircraft based at Wright-Patt are nine C-17 Globemaster III transport airplanes, but the airfield is used to park aircraft from other bases facing hurricane threats.
4. A popular tourist attraction is the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, which charges no admission. It is located on base. One of its most recent top attractions is the famous Memphis Belle.
5. Wright-Patt is often the place where presidents land on Air Force One when visiting the region. The airfield is also used for Air Force One pilots to do practice landings without the president on board.