Larry Malcolm Sain pleaded guilty today to murder and tampering with evidence in the killing of Jayren Graham.

Sentencing delayed after accused shooter requests to withdraw guilty plea

UPDATE @ 11:50 a.m.: 

Sentencing has been delayed for an 18-year-old who previously entered a guilty plea to murder charges connected to the shooting of a hotel employee. 

>>RELATED: Teen pleads guilty to deadly shooting of hotel worker near Dayton Mall

Larry Sain asked to withdraw the guilty plea he previously entered and has also asked to fire his lawyer, Patrick Mulligan. 

During the hearing today, Judge Barbara Gorman said she’s not sure if Sain has grounds to withdraw the plea, however, sentencing would be delayed for a week. 

>>RELATED: Friends testify how drug deal gone bad led to shooting

We’ll continue to update this developing story as we learn more. 

FIRST REPORT

An 18-year-old who pleaded guilty to murder in the fatal shooting of a Miami Twp. hotel worker is expected to be sentenced today.

Larry Malcolm Sain last month pleaded guilty to murder and tampering with evidence in the Sept. 13 killing of 19-year-old Jayren Graham, a Miami Twp. resident, at the hotel the victim worked near the Dayton Mall.

Jayren Graham

Sain had earlier pleaded not guilty to four murder counts, two counts of aggravated robbery, two counts of felonious assault, tampering with evidence, carrying a concealed weapon and improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle.

EARLIER: Judge rules against prominent Dayton business man in EPA illegal dumping case

He changed his plea under an agreement with prosecutors just days before his trial was scheduled to start. Under terms of the deal, he will serve 18 years to life in prison, Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Barbara Gorman said.

Sain, who has an extensive juvenile court record, was 17 at the time of the shooting, but was tried as an adult.

Graham was shot outside the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton off Ohio 741 in what court witnesses described as a drug deal gone bad.

The case was transferred to adult court earlier this year after a hearing in Montgomery County Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi’s courtroom.

Sain has been in juvenile detention following his arrest the day after the shooting. His bond was set at $1 million.

-MORE COVERAGE ON THIS ISSUE:

RELATED: Teen pleads guilty to deadly shooting of hotel worker near Dayton Mall

RELATED: Friends testify how drug deal gone bad led to shooting

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X