The Wayne County Health Department is monitoring the health of an individual who recently traveled to China in response to a global outbreak of novel coronavirus.
The traveler, who has not been identified by gender or age, is not showing any signs of illness at this time, Wayne County Health Department officials said in a prepared statement issued Tuesday.
The individual will be monitored daily for 14 days for symptoms of novel coronavirus, Dr. David Jetmore, county health officer, said in the statement.
Symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has said the risk of widespread transmission of disease in the United States is low.
RELATED: China’s new cases of virus drop
"The risk of contracting the flu is much greater than any risk from novel coronavirus in our county, but we are taking every step possible to ensure that our community stays healthy," Dr. Jetmore said.
Like influenza, human coronaviruses most commonly spread from an infected person to others through:
- Respiratory droplets released into the air by coughing or sneezing
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose or eyes
- Rarely, fecal contamination
The best way to protect yourself from any respiratory illness, including the flu, is to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water at leas 20 seconds
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.