UPDATE @ 11:45 p.m.
Four adults, five children and four dogs escaped from a house fire that started in the chimney.
Bethel Twp. Assistant Fire Chief Chris Ludwick said the family lit a fire in the fireplace and that by the time a problem was discovered, the whole room was on fire.
It was not clear whether the home had working smoke detectors.
The chimney had old masonry, and the fire took a while to get under control because of the way the house was constructed, he said.
Multiple fire crews were called in to assist.
There were no injuries, but medics help a woman who had been in the house for anxiety-related issues.
Crews were called tonight to a house fire at a home reportedly undergoing renovations.
The fire was reported around 9 p.m. in the 200 block of Kennedy Road in Bethel Twp.
According to initial reports, there was heavy smoke showing when crews arrived and fire was spotted in back part of the home.
The family was able to make it out.
Crews from Bethel Twp., New Carlisle and Wright-Patterson Air Force Base responded.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.