Dayton crews revive dog, but cat does not survive house fire on city’s east side

UPDATE @ 4:35 p.m.: A family cat lost its life in the house fire on Eastwey Avenue on Monday afternoon, which Dayton Fire East Chief Rennes Bowers said destroyed the kitchen.

>> Trooper pulls driver from burning van on I-75

Neighbors called 911 after they reported seeing smoke they believed was coming from the attic, Bowers said. The preliminary investigation reveals the fire is believed to have started in an outlet in the kitchen near the stove.

The residents were not home, he said, and crews found a family dog unconscious in a kennel. They rushed the dog outside, administered oxygen and revived the dog. County animal control agents have been asked to take the dog to a vet.

The cat was found on the second floor, apparently a victim of the smoke that filled the house, Bowers said.

He estimated the damage to the structure and contents at $15,000.

UPDATE @ 4:11 p.m.:

Crews have resuscitated a dog they rescued from the house fire on Eastwey Avenue in Dayton.

The fire in the two-story brick home is believed to have started in the attic. Two ladders have been put up on either side of the house.


Crews are on the scene of a house fire in the 3500 block of Eastwey Avenue on Dayton’s east side.

Dayton fire crews were dispatched about 3:45 p.m. on a report of a structure fire. There are no reports of injury.

Police are handling traffic issues on Humphery Avenue, near Eastwey, in the area of the fire.

We have a crew on scene and we will update this developing report.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

About the Author