Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl gives an update in a fatal double shooting of two 17-year-old boys by a Conners Street homeowner.
Photo: STAFF
Photo: STAFF

Police chief: State will have to prove if man who fatally shot 2 Dayton teens did not act in self-defense

  • Teens ID’d as Devin Henderson and Javier Harrison, both 17, of Dayton
  • The man fired multiple times with a .38-caliber revolver at 3 individuals in his garage
  • The third individual ran, but returned when he saw police and was arrested
  • Chief: The state will have to prove the man did not act in self-defense

>>RELATED: Man facing trespassing charges in connection to deadly shooting of 2 teens in garage

Prosecutors will have to prove if the fatal shooting of the two teenagers was a criminal act and not done in self-defense, Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl said Thursday afternoon.

It’s very early in the investigation, he said, and the police department is asking the public for patience. The Montgomery County Prosecutor has declined comment.

“It’s deeply tragic that two 17-year-olds lost their lives in this incident,” the chief said during a news briefing outside police headquarters downtown.

The boys were identified Thursday morning as Devin Henderson and Javier Harrison, both of Dayton. 

>> Deadly Riverside cruiser crash: Gov. DeWine orders review of parole actions  

Biehl said the investigation so far has revealed the man fired multiple shots from a .38-caliber revolver when he encountered three individuals in the detached garage of his home in the 800 block of Conners Street on Wednesday night. 

The garage was not secured. The three were in a car. The man heard voices and noises coming from the garage and went outside, armed, to see what was going on, the chief said.

Two teens were fatally shot while reportedly trespassing on a man's property in Dayton Wednesday night.

The third individual, who was not hit in the gunfire, ran but returned when he saw police and firefighters arrive on the property. Police arrested him on a pending charge of breaking and entering.

“There was some drug activity occurring at that time” when the encounter occurred, Biehl said, “but exactly what they were doing, intending to do, is not clear.”

Biehl said he’s sure the three boys knew each other but beyond that police don’t know the nature of their relationship.

Devin Henderson is one of two 17-year-olds shot and killed Wednesday night, Aug. 28, 2019, by a man who said he encountered three individuals in his garage. (Courtesy/Henderson family)

The resident now is staying with a family member. Biehl did not publicly release the name of the man or the third individual.

He reiterated that police have a lot of work to do in the investigation, mainly because the law on justifiable self-defense has changed. The burden now is on prosecutors to prove that a person did not act in self-defense in cases such as the Conners Street homicides.

Biehl also said police have not yet searched the car the three individuals were in, police don’t know whether the teenagers were armed and investigators have to verify the man’s claims he has been a prior victim of crime.

Javier Harrison, 17, was one of two teens killed in a shooting on Conners Street. Photo courtesy of family.

>> RELATED: Teen’s father speaks out after shot, killed by property owner

The Dayton property owner who killed two teens immediately made a 911 call to report the incident.

The man told emergency dispatchers two people had been trespassing in or near his garage when he fired the shots, Dayton police Lt. Steven Bauer said.

“What did you do, did you chase them?” the dispatcher asks. “You shot them?”

“Yes,” he replies. “They are in the garage.”

“You shot them with a gun … are they dead?” the dispatcher asked the caller. 

“They are on the floor,” he states.

“I am going to put it on the floor,” he says regarding his gun, anticipating the arrival of police. “I am outside of the front door.”

Police arrive while the homeowner was still on the phone with the dispatcher, and he said to the dispatcher that he had put his weapon on the ground.

There was a vehicle involved in the incident that police towed as evidence, the lieutenant said.

The teenagers are from the area, and it was not clear whether the property owner knows the boys, Bauer said. He declined to respond when asked whether the teenagers were armed. 

Detectives questioned the man who shot the boys. 

>>Missing man’s body found in apartment — months later, woman charged  

“He called us immediately,” Bauer said, “and put the weapon down before police arrived on scene.”

The teens had been students previously at Dayton Public Schools, however had withdrawn from the district, according to district spokesperson Alex Kincaid.

We will continue working on this story throughout the day to bring you more details. 

If you have a news tip, call our 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X