Baby girl abandoned on Clayton street now in grandmother’s custody

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Clayton abandoned child

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Update@12:30 p.m. 

The baby has been identified and she was taken to Dayton Children’s Hospital after she was abandoned. Officials said nearly 2-year-old child is doing well and is now in her grandmother’s custody.

Credit: DaytonDailyNews


Credit: DaytonDailyNews

In addition, police say Darryl Tucker II, 29, and Brinae Ellis, 26, both of Dayton, are suspected of abandoning the child. Neither one has been formally charged, nor are they in custody.

>> U.S. Postal Inspection Service conducts drug bust

Update@11:47 a.m.

The man who called 911 after the baby was abandoned at the intersection is Mark Barnhill. He was in his front yard when he watched a man leave the child at the intersection, he said.

Two of his neighbors who also called 911 picked up the baby until police arrived, Barnhill said, noting that the child appeared to be healthy.

We reached out to Clayton police this afternoon to ask if they’ve made any arrests and the condition of the child. We will continue to follow this story and bring you the latest details as we get them.

First report:

We're working to learn more about a baby who was abandoned at a street corner in Clayton.

According to Montgomery County Regional Dispatch, a caller to 911 about 5:51 p.m. reported that someone in a "beat up green car" got out, took the baby (still in the carrier) out of the car, left the child at Seville Drive and Taywood Road and drove away.

A male caller told a dispatcher he saw the incident and was near the baby as someone else was calling 911 to report the same incident.

The male caller said the car, the front end of which was "all torn off," drove off toward Salem Avenue. He described the driver as a young man.

"He just stopped the car at the stop light, went out and got the baby and put it there, on the corner," the caller said.

>> Human trafficking investigation leads to Celina 

The caller gave the dispatcher the license plate number of the car, and remarked that it wasn't running well and he didn't think it was going to get very far.

Police arrived while the male caller was still speaking with the dispatcher.

A sergeant with regional dispatch said there was no update about the child.

We will update this developing report as more information becomes available.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to