Fairborn city officials are overseeing the demolition of two more abandoned residential properties this week and hope the city will be able to demolish another four structures this year.
Work on removing 241 Vine St., which was damaged by fire, began Monday. City officials hope that property and one at 237 Forest Ave. will be removed by the end of the week as part of the city's ongoing demolitions of blighted structures.
“It’s important we don’t have these blighted buildings that could turn into a drug house or a play area for kids,” said Fairborn Deputy Mayor Paul Keller. “The blight pulls down the property values of the houses around the blighted buildings.”
The city council has budgeted $13,738 from the general fund for the removal of the two structures.
In August, the city began demolishing 2047 Beaver Valley Road, 738 Flintridge Drive, 11 Lockwood Court, 261 Oxford Drive, 248 Sandhill Road and 1645 Wilbur Ave. City officials had budgeted $88,860 for the tear-downs, but contractors were able to complete the work under budget at $80,781, said Community Development Director Michael Gebhart.
“We had budgeted with a 10 percent contingency,” he said. “There were no change orders on this round.”
Bidding will open this week to contractors for the demolition of an additional three residential and one commercial structure, and Gebhart said the savings from the prior demolitions can be used toward the new demolitions. He expects 2016’s fourth round of demolitions to cost around $80,000.
“Included in that round is, potentially, 2072 Kauffman Ave., which is the old Fairborn Family Diner,” Gebhart said, noting the structure is a former Burger King restaurant. The residential properties set for demolition are 1848 Superior Ave., 2 Holgate Court and 645 June Drive, he said.
Gebhart said the city plans to continue pursuing demolitions next year, too. He said the city is preparing a list of seven properties to tear down for the first round of demolitions in 2017.
In 2014, the city tore down 24 structures, followed in 2015 by 11 tear-downs including a former Elder-Beerman department store. In those years, money for demolitions was made available through a 2013 Moving Ohio Forward Grant, among other sources. Now, the dollars come from the general fund.
“City council determined last year that to help stabilize neighborhoods and get rid of blight, they needed to set aside funds to accomplish that,” Gebhart said.
The Dayton Daily News is committed to covering taxpayer-funded projects, including these residential demolitions, and other important news in the city of Fairborn.