Ohio Gov. John Kasich talked to NewsCenter 7's Jim Otte about his thoughts regarding the shooting that took the life of John Crawford III.

Gov. Kasich makes statement on Walmart shooting

Ohio Gov. John Kasich on Tuesday called the fatal shooting of John Crawford III at the Beavercreek Walmart in August a “tragic loss of life.”

Kasich was in Dayton for an interview with the Dayton Daily News and WHIO TV and Radio.

On Aug.5, Crawford walked down a sporting goods aisle, grabbed an unboxed Crosman MK-177 BB/pellet gun and proceeded to walk throughout Walmart. Crawford was unaware that carrying the air rifle had alarmed a shopper, who believed it was real, that Crawford was loading it and was going to shoot it. The customer, Ronald Ritchie, called 911 which prompted police to enter the store and who shot and killed Crawford.

A special grand jury concluded last week the officers involved in the shooting would face no criminal charges.

“You have to respect the decision of the grand jury,” Kasich said. “But I thought it was important that we move forward and have (The U.S. Department of) Justice look at the whole case.”

Kasich said he talked to Dayton area faith leaders before the grand jury’s decision was released.

“Before the verdict came out I touched base with a few of the leaders of the African-American community. I had a couple of conversations after the verdict,” Kasich said. “I canceled everything that day to be in Columbus out of respect for the family. It’s a tragic loss of life. I just felt like I had that responsibility,” Kasich said.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X