Heat, humidity to stay through Monday

Sixty residences in a Harrison Twp. were without power Saturday. Dayton Power & Light said the residences were all in the area of the Meadows of Catalpa, a 323-unit apartment complex on Indian Run in Harrison Twp.

The utility company planned to have the outage, reported at 2 p.m., back in service by the end of the day, spokesman Tom Tatham said. The repair was delayed because equipment was needed to fix an underground fuse, he said.

The continued combination of high humidity with seasonal summer temperatures is expected to result in more of the same steamy conditions that have been heating the area for the past week.

“When the two are factored together, our heat indices are near 100 degrees, if not a few degrees hotter. This trend will continue through the weekend and the start of the new week,” WHIO meteorologist Carrieann Marit said Saturday.

The good news is relief, however minor, could be coming Tuesday, as humidity and temperature inch down.

“Unfortunately it may be such a small change that most people will not feel much of a difference. It will still be hot and humid,” Marit said.

Before the slight cooling begins, however, Marit said the region could see the three consecutive days of temperatures of 90 degrees or more, constituting a heat wave.

The continued overheated conditions have prompted area officials to open cooling centers and encourage caution when venturing outside during the day. Centers are set up in recreation centers in Dayton, Vandalia and Centerville-Washington Twp. and the civic center in West Carrollton.

DP&L reported 64 customers without power Saturday evening, 62 in Montgomery County.

In Dayton, water stations and staff were set up along the route of the Dayton Dragons/Subway 5K and the city’s“Bring Back the Tap” water truck was parked at the race site near Fifth Third Field, just in case.

The Northmont Good Samaritan Soccer Classic was to continue today, with boys matches at the Hoke Road Soccer Complex and Northmont High School.

Tents and water stations were set up. Mandatory water breaks were called and the clock was kept running. Misting machines were also on hand.

Saturdays matches went on without problems, according to tournament director Dave Carmean.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.