Carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, a type of asphyxiation. Household gas boilers that are working incorrectly may produce high levels of CO. Detectors situated in kitchen
Photo: E R DEGGINGER/Getty Images/Photo Researchers RM
Photo: E R DEGGINGER/Getty Images/Photo Researchers RM

Local fire department seeing uptick in CO emergencies

Most of the calls were for CO emergencies, according to a post on the City of Vandalia Fire Department’s Facebook page. In one incident, crews were on a routine medical emergency call when their EMS bag CO detector went off.

>> Video shows fight between girls in Butler HS cafeteria; district ‘disappointed’

Often called the invisible killer, CO is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. Some signs and symptoms of CO poisoning are nausea, head aches, weakness, and dizziness. If you suspect you have CO poisoning, immediately evacuate the area and call 911.

Anyone who needs help with their smoke or CO detectors can call the Fire Prevention Bureau at (937) 898-2261.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X