The family of a former Miamisburg resident is seeking to return their daughter to the U.S. after she was badly burned in a gas explosion in Cambodia.
Abigail Alexander, who lived in Miamisburg until 2013, is being treated in a hospital after she and a British teacher were victims in the blast that injured 13 people in Siem Reap, according to Alexander’s grandmother, Gayle Ingram of Kettering.
Alexander and Zoe Eleftheriou, 22, were hit by the blast while riding a motor bike together in last Wednesday, Ingram said.
Both women suffered severe burns, and their families are facing mounting medical bills while police track down the owners of the illegal petrol station that suddenly blew up, according to the Daily Mail.
Alexander’s parents, Erin and Aaron Alexander, are working to transport her back to the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, according to Ingram.
Because she requires constant medical attention and a ventilator to breathe, the transport, which is essentially a flying intensive care unit, will bring her total medical costs to well over $200,000, Ingram said.
About $32,700 has been raised in the past five days to help fund Alexander’s medical expenses, according to the page, https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-with-abbeys-medical-bills-from-the-explosion.
The goal is to raise $250,000, according to the page.
Much of the funds raised have come from friends in Cambodia, where Alexander has been living since January with both of her parents, her brother, and her fiancé, according to the Longmont Times-Call.
“Abbey received burns to over 35% of her body in a gas explosion today. She was riding her moto in front of a gas station when there was a massive explosion,” according to the GoFundMe page. “We’ve already had thousands in medical bills from treatment and transport costs. She’s been transported to a hospital with a better burn unit and the costs will add up quickly. Any donations you can give for her treatment would be much appreciated.”