17-month-old taken to Dayton Children’s after ingesting Suboxone

ajc.com

A 17-month-old boy was taken to Dayton Children’s Hospital for monitoring after accidentally ingesting Suboxone, according to a Dayton police report.

Officers were dispatched to Suman Avenue around 5:50 p.m. Tuesday on a reported Suboxone overdose.

Explore>>> Live Doppler 7 Radar | INTERACTIVE

Suboxone is commonly used to treat opioid addiction.

The child’s mother reportedly told officers that she left the 17-month-old with another child upstairs while she went to the basement.

When she returned upstairs, the 17-month-old was walking out of her bedroom and looked like he had done something wrong, according to the report.

The woman entered her bedroom and reportedly noticed her Suboxone prescription was on the floor and one of the pills was crushed.

Explore>>> Fire causes roof collapse at Riverside business on Brandt Pike

It was then that she realized the boy had ingested a pill, read the report.

The mother reportedly said that she keeps the pill bottle on her dresser and seals the lid.

She was unsure how the child got ahold of the pill, according to the report.

The Dayton Fire Department and Riverside medics treated the child at the scene before transporting the 17-month-old and his mother to Dayton Children’s for monitoring.

Explore>>> No weather survey planned after funnel cloud spotted in Champaign and Logan counties

No Narcan was given to the child, read the report.

About the Author