Fire crews were called late Wednesday night to a small mulch fire by a natural gas main.
The fire was outside an Irving Avenue house owned by the University of Dayton, but it was vacant.
Police ordered students walking along Irving Avenue to evacuate the area, and Vectren was called to check the gas main.
The fire was quickly extinguished and did not spread. It remains under investigation.
Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.