Police said a witness helped them make quick arrests Thursday in a double shooting on the east side of Dayton that ended in a standoff a couple of hours later on the city’s west side.

Police credit witness with helping them find, arrest 2 in Dayton double shooting

“We always say, ‘if you see something, say something,’ ” Dayton police Lt. Jason Hall told News Center 7’s Mike Campbell on Friday.

The witness, who asked not to be identified by name, said he heard gunshots in his Old North Dayton neighborhood, made sure his family had not been harmed, then followed a black pickup truck he saw speeding along Kelly Avenue.

He gave police dispatchers the description and license plate of the truck, then stopped because of the danger involved in speeding along city streets.

“It was kind of scary,” the witness said. “They hit four or five cars, went over a median.”

Dayton police were dispatched to Kelly Avenue on Thursday afternoon on a report that two people had been shot. (Sean Cudahy/Staff)

Police said three people were in the truck that sped away from the 100 block of Kelly Avenue after two people had been shot about 5:52 p.m. 

Lt. Hall said a man and a woman, both in their 30s, were wounded. One had been shot in the hand, the other in the leg by a gunman who fired several rounds before getting into a pickup truck. Both victims were taken to Miami Valley Hospital.

“We do have indications this was a targeted attack,” the lieutenant said. He declined to discuss potential motives.

Police, with the witness’s help, were able to engage the truck in a pursuit across town.

A man on the city’s west side said he saw the truck come roaring through a field off Forsythe Avenue followed by a police cruiser. That same man said he saw two men get out and run to a house in the 4000 block of Forsythe Avenue.

The invasion developed into the standoff, which ended just before 8 p.m. when two men walked out of the house, one at a time in following orders police spoke through a bullhorn, and surrendered.

>> Woman, 21, sentenced in slaying of 19-year-old

One was Robert Maye, 25, booked into the Montgomery County Jail pending the filing of formal charges of felonious assault, tampering with evidence, failure to comply and a parole violation.


The other was Jamikeal Brown, 21, booked into jail on preliminary charges of felonious assault and a weapons violation.


Three small children also came out of the house in response to orders from police. Officers picked them up and carried them away. Police later reunited the children with their mother, who was not involved in the standoff.

Police investigating Dayton shooting; two injured

Friday, police said they were continuing to question a woman who was in the truck with the two men on Forsythe Avenue. She did not run. Whether police will pursue charges against her had not been made clear by Friday evening.

Police also took a third man into custody on Forsythe Avenue because they said he misled them about the situation. He did not come from the house, police said. Whether he was taken to jail also was not clear by Friday evening.

If you have a news tip, call our 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.