Officers were dispatched to a residence in Kettering Friday morning to check on the welfare of a person inside.

Kettering standoff suspect ID’d; SWAT uses Taser on man holed up on home 

Kettering police did not identify the suspect, but Robert E. Dunn was arrested at the Fulton Avenue house and booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of aggravated menacing and inducing panic, online jail records show. He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Kettering Municipal Court.

Robert E. Dunn
  • The man moved close enough to the front door; a SWAT team member used a Taser to make the arrest 
  • The pending charges are aggravated menacing and inducing panic
  • The man has been taken to a hospital for exposure to the Taser and tear gas police used 


Police were dispatched to the 3900 block of Fulton Avenue just before 11 a.m. on a call about a disturbance where a man threatened family members, Lt. Gabrielson said. When officers arrived, the man confronted them with a knife and threatened them.

"This was a situation where someone obviously was in crisis," the lieutenant said. "Family members called us and we were able to get out here and resolve it peacefully."

He said he had no information about the man's medical background. 

Police did receive reports that the man threatened family members and police officers on scene. 

TRENDING NEWS: Santa Fe High School Shooting: At least 9 dead, 1 in custody

Kettering Standoff: Kids from nearby house removed by police

"Anytime anyone threatens force, we never know what type of weapon they have," he said. "He did have a knife in his hand at the time. ... We have to do what is safe for the neighborhood and our officers." 

SWAT was called soon after the man threatened the officers who initially responded. Neighborhood residents were told to shelter in place. 

Police and SWAT attempted to negotiate with the man throughout the day. Canisters of gas also were fired into the residence in an attempt to coax the man to surrender.

During the standoff, several children in a nearby home were removed by police. They children were never in danger, police said.

The man was taken into custody just after 6:30 p.m.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.