This Civil War Soldiers Monument is located on Main Street in downtown Dayton and includes a bronze reproduction of originally marble sculpted Pvt. Geroge Washington Fair. TY GREENLEES / STAFF
Montgomery County dedicated a memorial to Civil War Union veterans on July 31, 1884 in the center of Main and Monument Streets. The model for the monument was Pvt. George Washington Fair of Dayton.
The monument was moved to Sunrise Park on Riverview Avenue in 1948 and returned to Main Street in 1991. The marble statue was damaged by the elements and replaced in bronze form. The original statue of Private Fair is now located under a portico at the VA Hospital.
Soldier at Parade RestPleasant Hill, Miami County
A view of the Pleasant Hill Civil War Soldier monument on Main Street in Pleasant Hill. The village was to move the solider out of the middle of Ohio 48 and 718 but now there are those who are changing their minds. The state already gave the village lots of new money for street upgrades with agreement Soldier would be moved to a near park nearby. Photo by Jim Witmer
This soldier on top of the monument made of Vermont granite sits on a marble base and was dedicated Oct. 31, 1895.
The names of 12 soldiers who died during the war are inscribed on the base along with these words, “Dedicated by the grateful people of Newton Township, in memory of her fallen heroes who died in defense of the Union and who sleep in unknown graves.”
Soldier holding a gunWoodside Cemetery, Middletown
The Soldiers and Sailors monument is one of several at Woodside Cemetery and Arboretum honoring veterans from all branches of the military service. NICK GRAHAM/STAFF
A soldier holds a gun on top of a large stone base at Middletown’s Woodside Cemetery. An inscription on the monument, “In memory of our soldiers and sailors by the people of Butler Co."
According to the Woodside Cemetery and Arboretum website “Local farmers were asked to haul their finest boulders to the site and when sufficient funds were raised, the 100 ft. Soldiers and Sailors Memorial was commissioned by the famous and noted architect, Frank Mills Andrews and completed in 1902 with the addition of a bronze statue that was donated by Paul J. Sorg.”
In 2015, three Civil War cannons were rededicated after being restored with new granite bases.
Soldier MonumentFerncliff Cemetery, Springfield
General J. Warren Keifer is one of the Civil War veterans buried in Ferncliff Cemetery who will be mentioned on the April 13 tour. Bill Lackey/Staff
The Civil War memorial at Ferncliff Cemetery was sculpted by artist Henry Lovie. Lovie was born in Prussia, immigrated to the United States and became a portrait and landscape painter in Cincinnati.
The memorial was originally erected at the corner of Limestone Street and Columbia Avenue in 1869.
The Union soldier’s position differs from parade rest. The muzzle faces down with the soldiers hands resting on the butt of the gun. In parade rest, the muzzle faces up.
Dayton Soldier’s MonumentDayton National Cemetery
The Dayton Soldiers' Monument sits atop a hill at the center of the Dayton National Cemetery landscape. The cornerstone was laid in 1873, and it was completed in 1877. The structure is composed of a 30-foot marble column on a granite base. At the corners of the base stand four figures representing the Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery and Navy. TY GREENLEES / STAFF
The Dayton National Cemetery was established as the permanent burial site for residents of the Central Branch of the National Asylum for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in 1867, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
A soldier at parade rest sits on top of a 30-foot marble column on a granite base. Four figures representing the Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery and Navy are placed at the corners of the base.
President Rutherford B. Hayes delivered the dedication address on Sept. 12, 1877, to a crowd of about 22,000. Two ornamental artillery cannons are located at the base of Soldiers’ Monument.
Grave marker for Martin Robison DelanyGreene County
Dr. Floyd Thomas has helped oversee the purchase of a new memorial monument to Martin Delany that will be placed near this grave marker at Massies Creek Cemetery in Greene County. Delany was a doctor, judge, commissioned officer, lawyer and political activist during the Civil War era. Photo by Lisa Powell
Martin Delany, buried at Massies Creek Cemetery near Wilberforce, was the only African-American to attain the rank of Major in the Civil War.
Delany served as a recruiter for the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment. He was commissioned a major in the U.S. Army in March 1865, and given command of 104th United States Colored Troops.
A new monument to Delany has been erected near the Civil War-era tombstone that misspelled his last name.
Military monuments in the region
Source: Cincinnati Museum Center