In addition to food, 106 million Americans will celebrate Independence Day with fireworks or community celebrations and 30 million will attend parades.
» BIZ BEAT: Family Video closing 2 area stores, selling movies for as low as $1
Fourth of July is also a popular time for traveling with 31 million planning to head out of town. That’s down from last year’s 33 million and travelers said higher gas prices would affect their plans, but the decline in travel could also be related to the timing of the holiday.
Over a quarter of all Americans plan to buy more patriotic decorations for the holiday this year, according to the survey. Only 27 percent plan to purchase additional patriotic merchandise, but the number jumps to 44 percent for those ages 18-24 and declines steadily for older individuals.
FIVE FAST READS
• Retail sales increase in May, expected to continue growing this year
• Macy’s to expand pop-up marketplace with new partnership
• Dayton flight to Houston successful; could lead to two flights
• Video game chain GameStop may be up for sale
• UPDATE: Beavercreek shopping center to expand