- type 1 diabetes
- inherited metabolic disorders
- severe neurologic disorders including epilepsy
- severe genetic disorders including Down Syndrome, Fragile X, Prader Willi Syndrome, Turner Syndrome
- severe lung disease including cystic fibrosis and severe asthma
- sickle cell anemia
- alpha- and beta-thalassemia
Children with these medical conditions cannot yet get the coronavirus vaccine. The Moderna vaccine is authorized for use in people 18 years and older and the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is authorized for use in people 16 years and older.
Here’s the phase 1B schedule for when each group becomes eligible for the vaccine in Ohio:
Week of Jan. 18: Age 80 and above
Week of Jan. 25: Age 75 and above and Ohioans with severe, congenital, developmental or an early-onset medical disorder
Week of Feb. 1: Age 70 and above and K-12 school staff.
Week of Feb. 8: Age 65 and above
Source: Ohio Department of Health