The first group of Ohio State Buckeyes captains in the Ryan Day era include four defensive players and three players from the offense.
» PRESEASON POLL: Where do Buckeyes rank?
Day announced the 2019 captains, who were elected by their teammates, at the start of his weekly press conference Monday at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, and those seven names were quickly overshadowed by his second announcement: that Justin Fields would be the starting quarterback in the season opener against Florida Atlantic.
The captains are:
• Fifth-year senior wide receiver K.J. Hill, who caught 70 passes last season.
• Graduate student C.J. Saunders, a Dublin Coffman High School graduate who began his career as a walk-on wide receiver.
• Senior defensive end Jonathon Cooper, a Gahanna Lincoln graduate.
• Senior safety Jordan Fuller, who was one of seven captains last season.
• Junior running back J.K. Dobbins, who rushed for a team-best 1,053 yards last season.
• Junior defensive end Chase Young, who could follow the Bosa brothers as Ohio State’s next top-five pick from the defensive line.
• Junior linebacker Tuf Borland, another returning captain.
“I think they are a great representation of the program,” Day said. “They are a group of guys that I think epitomize what we want an Ohio State football player to be. I think they understand what it means to be a captain. Very, very well-respected, unbelievable group of guys. Really cool. Couple of two-time guys in there.
“Also what a great story for C.J. Saunders, somebody who comes in as a walk-on, earns a scholarship, is now a captain. Lifelong dream for him. I'm really proud for him and some of the other guys. Those will be our captains this year.”
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.