Dayton against Saint Louis on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017, at UD Arena.

Women’s basketball recruit changes mind about Dayton

Top-100 recruit will look elsewhere after asking for release from letter of intent

Sam Breen, a senior at Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic High School in Pittsburgh, made the announcement on Twitter. She’s a 6-foot-2 post player who ranked 67th in the class of 2017, according to ESPN’s HoopGurlz rankings. Breen signed with Dayton in November.

Breen told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Dayton will honor her request and release her from her commitment but won’t allow her to sign with another Atlantic 10 school or with any other team on Dayton’s schedule next season.

“It wasn’t anything that I didn’t really like about Dayton. I did like it,” Breen said. “It’s just something in my gut telling me I didn’t look enough at other schools. There’s a 99 percent chance I would’ve been happy at Dayton, but I didn’t want to risk the 1 percent, and then have to sit out a year if I wanted to transfer.”

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.