The company's comparable store sales decreased by more than 6 percent in the second quarter compared to 2016, and its net loss was more than $33 million. Total sales in the period decreased 7 percent to $504 million, compared with $542 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2016.
Deals, hiring, hours and everything else you need to know about local shopping for the holidays
Bon-Ton also owns and operates stores like the Bon-Ton, Bergner’s, Boston Store, Carson’s, Elder-Beerman, Herberger’s and Younkers nameplates. The company hasn’t stayed immune to the retail apocalypse. Bon-Ton closed its Bon-Ton store at Maine Mall in South Portland, Maine at the end of August — laying off 55 employees. Bon-Ton closed a store location at the Ohio Valley Mall in St. Clairsville, Ohio in late March. That closure impacted 46 employees.
The Elder-Beerman store in Towne Mall Galleria in Middletown, which is in Warren County, also closed earlier this year. The closing impacted 65 employees.
FIVE FAST BUSINESS READS
• 5 local hidden gems to shop at this holiday season
• 3 businesses coming to Centerville
• #ThanksgivingDinnerPants: Stove Top selling stretchy holiday pants
• #BoycottKeurig: Here’s why people are boycotting this coffee company
• Is Little Debbie getting rid of your favorite treat? One has to go