Ohio is one of the best states in the country for workers who’d rather not schlep their laptops into an office every day and ditch nerve-racking car commutes for the relative solace of home, based on a recent survey from FlexJobs, an online resource for telecommuting jobs.
The Buckeye State ranked No. 15 for the among states with the highest number of telecommuting job listings last year, led by employers such as Capella University, Cars.com, and 3M, according to the survey.
California led all states with the highest number of telecommuting job postings. But the Top 15 list was geographically diverse, including states such as Minnesota, Texas, and New York, Georgia, and Colorado.
With the advent of new and improved virtual workplace technologies, more and more people are choosing to work from home, giving them a more satisfying and flexible work schedule and allowing their employers to save on office space.
RELATED: Job outlook hits 15-year high
But most telecommuting jobs come with at least one big caveat: Workers must be based in a specific city, state, region or country, according to Sara Sutton Fell, founder and CEO of FlexJobs.
“While most telecommuting jobs do have a geographic requirement, there are also diverse remote jobs that can be done from any location in the U.S. and even the world,” Fell said.
Top 15 states for telecommuting jobs, and leading employers of telecommuters:
1. California/ Anthem, Dell, and Volkswagen
2. Texas/ Humana, Toyota, and Wells Fargo
3. New York/ Adobe, Salesforce, and Xerox
4. Florida/ American Heart Association, Colgate-Palmolive, and Hilton Worldwide
5. Illinois/ Blue Cross Blue Shield, Ernst & Young, and Nestle
6. Pennsylvania/ Oracle, Philips, and Voya Financial
7. Virginia/ Biogen, CenturyLink, and Nielsen
8. North Carolina/ Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Lenovo, and SAP
9. Georgia/ Chobani, Office Depot, and Worldpay
10. Arizona/ Progressive, Verizon, and Walgreens
11. Minnesota/ Boston Scientific, Citizens Bank, and UnitedHealth Group
12. Massachusetts/ Liberty Mutual, Mitsubishi Electric, and The Hartford
13. Colorado/ JPMorgan Chase, OpenTable, and Unilever
14. New Jersey/ DeVry Education Group, General Electric, and Robert Half International
15. Ohio/ Capella University, Cars.com, and 3M
About the Author