Former Oakwood safety director sentenced to 10 more years in prison for child pornography

Alexander Paul Bebris
Caption
Alexander Paul Bebris

Credit: Brown County, Wisconsin, Jail

Credit: Brown County, Wisconsin, Jail

A former Oakwood public safety director who already was facing five years in federal prison in connection to distributing child pornography was sentenced to an additional 10 years for possessing more child pornography while he was out waiting on a judgment of an appeal.

Alexander Paul Bebris, 52, pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography in the Eastern District of Wisconsin federal court. He was sentenced to serve the five-year sentence and the 10-year sentence back-to-back, the U.S. attorney there said.

ExploreProsecutors: Former Oakwood safety director jailed after child pornography found again

“At sentencing for his second offense, Senior United States District Judge William C. Griesbach called Bebris’ actions ‘outrageous and highly offensive,’” the U.S. Attorney Office said in a release. “Judge Griesbach further stated that Bebris’ willingness to commit almost the exact same crime while on release indicated a ‘strong need for deterrence and punishment.’”

Bebris was sentenced on Nov. 2.

Bebris originally was accused of sending two images of child pornography in September 2018 to his then-girlfriend via Facebook. According to court documents, Facebook discovered the images and sent a tip to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children who alerted law enforcement.

“On December 19, 2018, investigators executed a search warrant at Bebris’ residence, and an examination of Bebris’ computer revealed images of pornography involving children ranging in age from approximately one to fifteen years old,” prosecutors said in a press release.

He was found guilty and sentenced last year to five years in prison for distribution of child pornography, but that sentence was postponed as his defense team appealed a judge’s decision not to suppress evidence in the case. Court records show the appeals court in August said the judge made the correct ruling and was ordered to report to prison.

ExploreDayton murder suspect accused of attempting to bribe, coerce witnesses

“Three days before Bebris was to report to prison, law enforcement executed a search warrant at Bebris’ residence and recovered a substantial amount of recently-downloaded child pornography, including depictions of children as young as three years of age,” the U.S. Attorney said.

Bebris will also have to spend 10 years on supervised release and register as a sexual offender.

About the Author

ajc.com