16-year-old accused of shooting 2 in Xenia turned himself in Saturday

A 16-year-old boy charged with attempted murder and felonious assault in the Monday shooting of two people in Xenia turned himself in Saturday evening to the Xenia Police Division.

The teen was taken into custody without incident and was taken to the Greene County Juvenile Detention facility. He will be arraigned in Greene County Juvenile Court at a future date, Xenia police said in an updated press release issued Saturday night.

“We’re cooperating with the police and we have an agreement with the prosecutor’s office and police to turn him in [Saturday],” attorney Peter Scranton, a partner of the Columbus law firm Bowen, Scranton & Olsen, said on Friday evening.

The Dayton Daily News is not naming the teen because it does not routinely name juveniles unless they are charged in adult court.

Credit: Marshall Gorby

Credit: Marshall Gorby

Xenia officers and deputies from the Greene County Sheriff’s Office responded around 3:10 p.m. Jan. 16 to reports of a shooting at 421 E. Second St.

Two people were shot and wounded — a 21-year-old man and a 17-year-old girl — who were taken to an area hospital, Xenia police stated in its initial release.

Witnesses said two groups of people were arguing when the juvenile suspect “produced a pistol and started shooting” at the two gunshot victims and several other people who were present, the release stated.

Credit: Marshall Gorby

Credit: Marshall Gorby

The Greene County Prosecutor’s Office filed a criminal complaint in Greene County Juvenile Court against the suspected shooter for the following offenses: eight counts of attempted murder, a first-degree felony; eight counts of felonious assault, a second-degree felony; six counts of improperly discharging a firearm at or into a habitation, a second-degree felony, and four counts of discharging a firearm on or near prohibited premises, a third-degree felony, according to the release.

Scranton also said his client “maintains his innocence.”

He said he was contacted by the teen’s family and spoke to the juvenile earlier this week.

About the Author