For the first time, Tavern at the Greene will be joining the Miami Valley Restaurant Association’s Winter Restaurant Week Promotion, which runs Jan. 19-26.
Situated on 165 acres, The Tavern at the Greene has a newly renovated full service bar and restaurant that serves modern American tavern cuisine.
>>WINTER RESTAURANT WEEK: Complete list of participating restaurants
Owner Marvin Kidd purchased the former Greene Country Club in 2017 with a vision to create a welcoming club experience, without the membership fees. The Tavern and adjacent event center were completely renovated. Chef Matthew Haury was hired to provide a destination worthy menu and will be showcasing his talents during Winter Restaurant Week.
>>WINTER RESTAURANT WEEK: The best dishes we had at the Sneak Peek to Restaurant Week
The restaurant week promotion was established as a way to generate interest and traffic to local restaurants and help give diners a chance to explore the menu at a more affordable price point.
The seasonal promotion presents an opportunity to sample the best that local restaurants have to offer in the form of three-course meals priced at $20.20, $25.20, or $30.20 at a variety of restaurants all over town.
Here’s a look at just a few of the menus that caught our eye:
>> BEST OF DAYTON: Vote for your favorite new restaurant
🌅 MOST CREATIVE MENU THAT’S ALSO THE MOST GLUTEN-FREE FRIENDLY
Sunrise Cafe, 259 Xenia Ave., Yellow Springs, (937) 767-7211
- Bone, Figs and Hominy: A hearty stew of hominy, aromatics, potatoes and figs simmered in a rich house made bone broth with some Salt-N-Pepa of course. (gf)
- Brit-Tea Spears: Grilled asparagus spears with a drizzle of English breakfast tea gastrique and garnished with lemon braised leeks. (v,gf)
- Brie Dog Flight: Keener farm kielbasa smoked sausage grilled, sliced and served on a smear of brie cheese with a flight of three different sauces. A creole beer mustard, a cider rum glaze and roasted red pepper remoulade. (gf)
- Chuck Berry: Local Keener Farm chuck roast lovingly braised in an aromatic blackberry-red wine reduction until fall apart tender served over roasted garlic mashed potatoes and roasted local organic root veggies. (gf) 30.20
- Hot Tuna with Country Sloe and the Fish: Ahi tuna filet seared until med rare and finished in a Nashville style hot but not too hot sauce. Garnished with house made Alaskan salmon gravlax made with sloe gin, herbs and smoked sea salt. Served on a bed of low country green beans and potatoes with bacon, onions and garlic. (gf) 30.20
- The Black Eye Peas Risotto Featuring The Blue Oyster Salt: Our vegan risotto is made creamy with a puree of black eye peas, white miso and almond milk. Organic arborio rice is sautéed with local oyster mushrooms, kale and a rich mushroom broth. Finished with a seasoning of dried local blue oyster mushrooms and sea salt. (v,gf) 25.20
- Strawberry Fields Forever: Orange scented and strawberry laced shortcake topped with decadent strawberry topping and local whipped cream. Garnished with a chocolate covered strawberry for good measure.
- Cake with the Red Hot Chili Peppers: Three Leees Bakery vegan and gluten free chocolate-chipotle cupcakes served on a bed of vegan vanilla-lime pastry cream.
- Chee-Ona Apple and Smashing Pumpkins: Caramelized apple upside down pumpkin cheesecake.
👀 THE MENU WITH THE BEST VIEW
View 162 Rooftop Restaurant, Crowne Plaza Dayton, 33 E. 5th St., Dayton, (937) 224-0800
- House salad: Mixed greens, cucumbers, red onions, tomato, shredded cheese
- Caesar salad: Romaine, shaved Parmesan cheese and croutons, tossed in Caesar dressing
- Crab cakes: Two crab cakes topped with a chili lime mayo sauce
- Waygu Beef Brisket Sandwich: Slow-smoked Waygu brisket, topped with smoked gouda, applewood bacon, onion straws, and BBQ sauce served with side of waffle fries, $20.20
- Veal Parmesan: Veal cutlets breaded and cooked to perfection, topped with marinara and Parmesan cheese served over pappardelle pasta, $25.20
- Chilean Sea Bass: 6 oz. Chilean sea bass, pan seared and served on top of spaghetti squash and a red pepper marinara, $30.20
- Oreo Cheesecake: Cheesecake with chopped Oreos mixed in and topped with a white chocolate ganache and topped with more Oreos
- Chocolate Lava Cake: Warm chocolate cake with a hot fudge middle, served with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and whipped topping.
🍷 A MENU THAT BUYS YOU YOUR FIRST DRINK
The Caroline, 5 S. Market St., Troy, (937) 552-7676
Choice of: Glass of house wine, craft beer on tap or soft drink
- Tossed salad with dressing
- Roasted mushroom and wild rice soup
- Kale salad with apples, walnuts, bleu cheese and an apple vinaigrette
🍛 Entree (choose one)
- 10 oz. sirloin steak with mixed mushrooms, burgundy demo-glaze, cheddar mashed potatoes, $30.20
- 8 oz. certified Angus prime rib, au jus, cheddar mashed potatoes, $24.20
- Jumbo sea scallops fettuccine in a sage and sherry cream sauce, topped with crispy potato straws and a red wine cranberry reduction, $31.20
- Choice of red velvet cake with peppermint ganache or a cherries jubilee cheesecake
🍽️ THE MENU PACKED WITH COMFORT FOODS
Watermark Restaurant, 20 S. First St., Miamisburg, (937) 802-0891
🥗Starter (choose one)
- Southern fried chicken and biscuit slider with house pickles and honey butter
- Green Salad with shaved parmesan, fresh croutons, house-made herbed buttermilk ranch
- Pigs-In-A-Blanket served with a remoulade dip
- Cup of mushroom bisque sprinkled with toasted herbed panko
🍛 Entrée (choose one)
- Fried Green Tomatoes: Crispy breaded green tomatoes, served over mushroom dirty rice with house pepper gravy, $25.20 (vegetarian — can be served vegan)
- Sweet Tea Glazed Pork Chop: Bone-in brined and grilled pork chop with sweet tea glaze over creamy pimento cheese grits with green beans, $30.20
- Creole Spiced Catfish: Pan-seared and served over andouille cornbread dressing and draped with Creole beurre blanc butter, $30.20
- Banana pudding
- Pecan pie cake
>> BEST OF DAYTON: Vote for the best Oregon District restaurant
⛳ A MENU TO EXPLORE
Tavern at the Greene, 920 W. Dayton Yellow Springs Road, Fairborn, (937) 203-3343
It’s new on the scene and the first time participating in restaurant week, which makes it a perfect stop if you are looking to dive into something new.
Three Course Meal for $25.20
🥗Appetizer (choose one)
- Scotch egg: Chef’s special blend of Italian sausage and goetta, wrapped around a soft-boiled egg, rolled in pork rinds, and deep fried to perfection and served with curry mustard sauce
- Salmon potato cake: Crispy pan-fried potato cake topped with dill farmers cheese and black pepper smoked salmon
🍛 Entrée (choose one)
- Tavern Sheppard’s pie: Guinness braised beef short rib, English peas, butternut squash, carrots, and celery, topped with Boursin mashed potatoes and baked to golden brown.
- Potato wrapped salmon: Seared potato wrapped salmon on a bed of leek hay, topped with mango tarragon sauce, served with roasted Brussels sprouts, feta and an agave balsamic reduction, paired with Tavern truffle parmesan potato wedges
- Barbecued Jackfruit sandwich: Grilled jackfruit basted with barbecue sauce, piled high with crispy onion strings, on a brioche bun, served with roasted Brussels sprouts, feta and an agave balsamic reduction, paired with Tavern truffle parmesan sweet potato wedges
- Bourbon chocolate ganache campfire ice cream
- Creamy chocolate ice cream topped with a bourbon chocolate ganache, graham cracker, mini chocolate bar and a toasted marshmallow
🍗 THE MENU THAT OFFERS TWO DINNERS FOR $30.20
Chappy’s Social House, 7880 Washington Village Drive, Centerville, (937) 439-9200
- 1/3 Slab Slow Smoked BBQ Ribs
- Pork Chop (7oz.) — Beer Brined or Grilled
- Sirloin Steak (5 oz.)
- Bourbon Glazed Salmon ( 5oz.)
- Mahi Mahi (5 oz.) — Grilled or Blackened
- Beer Battered Cod (5 oz.)
- Two Beer Battered Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Breast (6 oz.) — Smothered, Grilled, Blackened, or BBQ
- 1⁄2 Smoked Chicken
- Chappys Fried Chicken – two piece White or Dark
All entries are served with the choice of two sides as well as choice of soup or salad and dessert.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.