The injured firefighter has since been released from the hospital and is recovering at home, Meghan Howard, city communications manager, said Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters were able to reenter the house and were still able to save a lot of the family’s property.
However, a family dog perished in the fire and a cat was taken to a local veterinarian for treatment.
The fire could have been much worse had the homeowners not kept the door closed once they discovered heavy smoke, Howard said.
“That helped keep the fire in check … it kept that oxygen limited going to that fire,” he said.