Here are five interesting facts about Cedarville University:
1. The college was almost shuttered just years after it was started
In 1890, the Presbyterian Synod recommended the university’s board “abandon” the college, but the board refused, according to Cedarville’s website.
In 1892, a $25,000 donation from a man named William Gibson revived the college.
2. The first class of graduates was pretty small
The first class of Cedarville University students graduated in 1897. The graduating class consisted of just five students.
Cedarville University graduated more than 700 students in 2015, according to the university.
3. Cedar Lake was added to campus in the 1960s
Located in the middle of campus, Cedar Lake was not added until 82 years after Cederville University had its charter approved by the state.
In 1969, workers began excavating six acres of campus to create the lake, according to the university.
4. A tornado tore up campus
In 1974, a tornado swept through Xenia, Ohio, also damaging portions of campus.
The entire second floor of Patterson Hall was torn off by the tornado, according to the university.
Formerly the home of the University’s medical clinic, Patterson Hall now consists of offices for the department of media and applied communications, according to Cedarville University’s website.
5. A name change at the turn of the century
The christian school wasn’t always called Cedarville University.
Until 2000, the school was called Cedarville College before changing its name.
Along with the name change, the school also opened a new student center that included a dining hall and theater, according to the university.
5 HIGHER ED MUST READS
• WSU lost $1.7 million on presidential debate it never ended up hosting
• Trump order could be problematic for international students in Ohio
• 5 things Dan Rather might speak about at free Wright State event
• Millennials are getting married later in life to focus on careers after college
• OSU researcher: Fecal transplants could help children with Autism