Local, state law enforcement get federal funding from community policing program

The U.S. Department of Justice’s Office of Community-Oriented Policing Services Hiring Program is awarding more than $18 million in funding to 15 local and two state law enforcement agencies in southern Ohio in order to hire an additional 134 full-time law enforcement officers.

>>What's happened to policing in Ohio since John Crawford III's death 5 years ago?

In the greater Dayton area, these agencies, along with the amount given to each and the number of officers they plan to hire, include:

  • The City of Dayton, $625,000, five new officers
  • The City of Fairborn, $250,000, two new officers
  • The City of Middletown, $250,000, two new officers
  • The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, $752,014, four new officers
  • The Ohio State Highway Patrol, $1,281,658, five new officers

The hiring program is intended to reduce crime and advance public safety by having applying agencies identify a specific crime area, and explain how the funding would be used to implement community policing approaches.

>>Dayton mayor vows police changes; some black leaders skeptical

The U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio said that 43% of all those who received the award this year listed violent crime as a problem area, while the other 57% is split among a variety of issues such as school-based issues, funding school resource officers, building trust and respect and opioid education, prevention and intervention.

About the Author