Police had to break into an apartment in the 700 block of Plymouth when no one answered as smoke streamed out from under the door at 10:39 p.m.
Inside, a grease fire was underway on the stove, while the 61-year-old female resident was passed out on the living room couch.
A fire crew, initially sent to the wrong location, arrived in time to help ventilate the area.
It took several attempts to wake the woman, who seemed incoherent, unaware and intoxicated, which is what a neighbor called her daily state. She was wearing only underwear and police had to help her into her jeans.
By the time an officer returned to the resident, she was passed out again on the couch.
A neighbor said she often did that with a lit cigarette in her hand as well. She was charged with inducing panic (from the fire), and given a summons. Neighbors said they’d take care of her the rest of the night.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.