16 new child sex counts against ex-Springfield Twp. firefighter

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Combined ShapeCaption
Ex-Springfield Twp. firefighter rejects plea deal in cadet rape case

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

SPRINGFIELD TWP. — UPDATE @ 5:49 p.m. (Aug. 8)

A former Springfield Twp. firefighter was charged Tuesday with 16 additional counts related to alleged sexual misconduct with children involved in a department cadet program.

Johnathon Monroe, 25, already was facing nine counts including rape, unlawful sexual conduct, and gross sexual imposition. He now faces 24 counts in all: four counts of rape, three counts of gross sexual imposition, seven counts of sexual battery, six counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor and five counts of compelling prostitution.

Monroe was accused of sexually assaulting four victims in the Springfield Twp. Fire Department’s cadet program, where he served as the training instructor. A police affidavit says Monroe went to the Springfield Police Division unprompted and tearfully admitted to the crimes.

>>MORE: Police: Springfield Twp. firefighter ‘tearful’ during confession

“Monroe was very tearful,” Detective Sandra Fent wrote. “During the interview, Monroe stated that he had access to these children through the cadet program with the Springfield Twp. Fire Department.”

Monroe resigned from his position after the alleged confession, Springfield Twp. officials said.

Clark County Prosecutor Andy Wilson said the case is important to his office.

“This case is absolutely a priority,” Clark County Prosecutor Andy Wilson said. “This is a very serious case. And we need to make sure that we prosecute him to the fullest.”

>>MORE: Ex-Springfield Twp. firefighter facing rape charges rejects plea

Wilson said there are no new children involved in the new charges. Instead, he said his office put off filing the new charges because they hoped to complete a plea deal with Monroe last month. The deal would have sent Monroe to prison on a 10 years-to-life sentence. However, during a court appearance, Monroe declined a plea deal and, therefore, the new charges were filed.

Monroe’s attorney, Regina Richards, said at the time her client rejected a proposed deal because Monroe hadn’t been evaluated by a mental health expert for competency related to the alleged confession.

EARLIER REPORT (July 28)

A former Springfield Twp. firefighter accused of sexually assaulting teen boys in the department’s cadet program rejected a plea deal this morning.

MORE: Read the full story at SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Now, prosecutors say Jonathan Monroe, 24, could face all nine charges related to his May indictment. He is charged with rape, gross sexual imposition, compelling prostitution and three counts each of sexual battery and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, according to a Clark County grand jury report. He is accused of sexually assaulting four boys in the township fire department’s cadet program, of which Monroe served as training instructor.

MORE: Springfield Twp. trustees make no comment on firefighter sex case

Monroe’s attorney, Regina Richards, said her client rejected the plea deal because he hasn’t been evaluated by a mental health expert for his competency related to a statement interpreted as a confession that she said may have been embellished.

RELATED: Springfield Twp. firefighter ‘tearful’ during alleged confession, police say

Clark County Assistant Prosecutor Andrew Picek said Monroe was offered a deal in which he would plead guilty to one count of rape and two counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. He would have faced between 10 years to life or 13 years to life in prison.

RELATED: Springfield Twp. firefighter accused of sexually assaulting cadets for years

Monroe’s trial was to start July 6, but was continued pending a plea agreement. A new trial date has not yet been set, online court records show.

Download our free mobile apps for breaking news and weather

About the Author