Two Springfield residents charged with abandoning dog

Update: 2 p.m.

Kaffenbarger and Metz-Smith appeared in Clark County Municipal Court Friday and pleaded not guilty to the charges.

An own recognizance bond was issued in the case.


A Springfield man and woman are charged in connection with an injured and abandoned dog.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Bill Cosby found guilty in sexual assault trial
  2. 2 Neighbors, board oppose convenience store in Dayton neighborhood
  3. 3 ‘There’s blood everywhere’: Teen accused of premedit

Nicolas Kaffenbarger, 38, and Barbara Metz-Smith is charged with abandoning animals in Clark County Municipal Court. A warrant was issued for his arrest on Thursday.

MORE: Springfield man accused of double murder back in Clark County

Police began their investigation when they got a call that a dog was stuck in a fence behind Compton Power Sports on Urbana Road. Police said they found a 9-year-old male bulldog mix that had a small injury to his back foot.

“During intake at the Clark County Dog Shelter, the dog was found to have a microchip and was registered,” the police affidavit says.

Police found the dog was owned originally by a person in North Carolina who gave the dog to an Urbana woman. The woman said she gave the dog to Kaffenbarger and Metz-Smith and another woman for a few days while she found a new place to stay.

READ: Springfield man caught with 240 grams of cocaine gets 18 years

Kaffenbarger and Metz-Smith were contacted by police, the affidavit said, and allegedly told them he let the dog go.

“Contact was then made with Ms. Metz-Smith and Mr. Kaffenbarger who did admit to dropping the dog off at Urbana Road, the closed Clark County Humane Society building, and stated that they assumed someone would be there in an hour or so and the dog would be saved,” the report says.

EXTRA: News photographer shot by Clark County deputy sues

The two were due in court on Wednesday but did not show, court records indicate. A warrant was issued after the no-show.

More from Daytondailynews