The key proposal about which Dayton school buildings could close next year — in what Acting Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli has called “right-sizing” — will be revealed today.
Lolli will offer her proposal for school closures — and potentially for other unused or under-used district-owned property — at today’s Dayton Public Schools board meeting. The board will allow time for public comment on the issue immediately after Lolli’s presentation.
The meeting is at 5 p.m. at DPS headquarters, 115 S. Ludlow St. Lolli’s presentation is the first item on the agenda after the pledge of allegiance.
RELATED: Dayton residents offer feedback on school priorities
School board President William Harris said Monday that the board will not vote on the recommendation tonight, but “more than likely” will vote on it next week at the March 20 school board meeting.
“We just want to make sure the public has enough information, and that they can express their views,” Harris said. “Of course you’re not going to get consensus all the way around, but we hope we can do the best we can.”
This newspaper on Monday asked for details of Lolli’s coming recommendation, but she would not comment — even to say what possibilities are off the table.
Lolli’s recommendation will come after a shortened task force process that was challenged at multiple steps by local media over its openness.
RELATED: Dayton schools task force speeds up timeline
On Friday, activist David Esrati filed a new motion in his ongoing lawsuit against the district. He asked for a preliminary injunction preventing DPS from making any school closure decisions until a judge rules on his case that challenges the legality of the process.
DPS officials say declining enrollment has left several buildings — all in West Dayton — below 50 percent capacity. They say combining some schools and closing others could save money while improving some educational processes. Some members of the public have pushed back, suggesting that combining schools could lead to larger class sizes, which could have negative consequences.
RELATED: DPS task force stops tour after legal challenge
In recent months, Lolli has said on multiple occasions that the district might close a small number of schools. Early in the process, she said the number could be around three schools. Three weeks ago, Lolli said a “guesstimate” was that “we’re looking at a couple of buildings that could be combined into the other buildings that are partially full.”
It’s also possible there could be some grade realignment. Lolli said having seventh- and eighth-graders spread across seven different schools (three pure middle schools, two PreK-8 schools and two high schools) has an unintended negative consequence.
RELATED: District AD, Dunbar principal placed on leave
“We have a difficult time finding algebra teachers, for example, for all seven buildings,” Lolli said last month, adding that the same issue rises with foreign language teachers. “It’s not equitable and not fair that some students go without that opportunity” because there is not a teacher in their building.
Lolli said DPS could fit all of its seventh- and eighth-graders into three buildings if needed.
THE STORY SO FAR
PREVIOUSLY: A joint Dayton Public Schools-city of Dayton task force studied underused school buildings, with DPS saying school closures could increase savings and efficiency.
WHAT'S NEW: At 5 p.m. today, acting Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli will present her proposal to the school board. She has recently hinted at 2 or 3 schools closing.
WHAT'S NEXT: Tonight, the school board will listen to Lolli's recommendation, plus reaction from the public. Board President William Harris said he expects a vote March 20.
About the Author