The Greater Dayton Area Hospital Association announced today, March 15, that visitors to short-term acute-care hospitals will be restricted starting Monday, March 16, amid ongoing efforts to slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
The restrictions include:
- No visitors under the age of 14;
- No visitation by anyone with symptoms of the seasonal flu or coronavirus including shortness of breath, coughing, fever, chills, headache, vomiting, sore throat, muscle aches or diarrhea;
- Patients will be allowed one visitor per day. Visitation will only be allowed by spouses, significant others, parents or legal guardians. (Patients of Dayton Children’s Hospital will be allowed two parents or guardians per day);
- Emergency department patients may have one support person.;
- Obstetrics patients may have one partner and one birth-support person;
- Patients requiring assistance due to mobility, interpretation or health-care decision-making may have one additional assistance person.
- When visiting a patient, visitors will be asked to primarily remain in the room with the patient.
- There are exceptions for special circumstances, especially end-of-life situations.
“We acknowledge the hardship that these measures may create for our patients, visitors, and family,” Sarah Hackenbracht, president of GDAHA, said in a release.
“Implementing stronger visitor restrictions and limiting the number of visitors allowed into hospital facilities is a necessary measure,” she said. “COVID-19 is in Ohio and likely in our region. Hospitals must ensure they can keep unnecessary contamination away from patients whose immune systems are compromised. It is also important to help keep our doctors, nurses and other hospital personnel healthy so that they can take care of the patients throughout the duration of this pandemic.”
Affected hospitals include:
Atrium Medical Center
Dayton-Springfield Emergency Center
Grandview Medical Center
Greene Memorial Hospital
Indu and Raj Soin Medical Center
Joint Township District Memorial
Kettering Health Network - Troy Hospital
Kettering Heath Network Middletown
Kettering Medical Center
Mercy Memorial - Urbana
Miami Valley Hospital
Miami Valley Hospital North
Miami Valley Hospital South
Southview Medical Center
Springfield Regional Medical Center
Sycamore Medical Center
Upper Valley Medical Center
Wayne Health Care
WPAFB 88th Medical Center